Monday, July 26, 2010

Living Life in Reverse

Today I was reading some of my writings that I had printed, pulled down from my blog, and filed. They were writings from two years ago and were rife with pain and...well...more pain.

Some would say that our past makes us who we are today and I'm not sure I totally agree with that. Our past might help define who we've become but the reality of today is, we get to decide who we are. We aren't children being molded by our surroundings. We aren't slaves to a society of established norms that doesn't allow the freedom of expression.

Through a book I am reading I found myself posed with this question: Are you living your life in reverse?

You can interpret this question in as many different ways as there are people, but what the author of the book was referring to was "reliving" that same old pain over and over and over again.

This can be an easy thing to do...beat yourself up. The bottom line though is that this does no good. It doesn't change the past, and it won't change your future. You can try to numb yourself with any variety of things to make the pain go away but it won't work. The only way to make the pain go away is to feel it until you don't feel it anymore. Then you can finally look at yourself in the mirror and say, "It is done."

1 comment:

LibraryGirl62 said...

Pastor has a new series Breaking Free from your past. I am going this Sunday if you wanna go with :}