Thursday, July 29, 2010

Spinning - Oh My

Well, this morning I got up bright and early and headed to my first spinning class. Let me just say that it was challenging both physically and mentally. I had a bite of breakfast prior to going and about ten minutes into the class I thought I was going to be sick. I talked to the instructor aftewards and she said to definitely eat prior to coming because you "can't drive on an empty tank."

We got there early and picked out our bikes and the instructor helped me get the seat to the right height, etc. The regular lights went out and then the black lights came on. The music started pounding and the peddling began. Fast, slow, stand up, sit down, position 1, position 2, and position 3. Seriously...ten minutes of this had me saying to myself, "You're going to throw up...you're going to throw up." Then I had to tell myself to stop talking that way to myself. Then I started saying, "You're NOT going to throw up." I slowed to a stop when the instructor yelled..."Don't stop peddling." I knew this wasn't cruelty being thrown across the room but rather for health reasons. If you are really exerting yourself and straining your muscles and then you just up and stop, your body can release lactic acid causing leg cramps so I kept peddling albeit a lot slower. A few minutes went by and I got my breath back and though at times it felt torturous at other times it was exhilerating and I couldn't believe I was actually doing it. The next thing I knew the instructor yelled...just two more songs. Wow, I couldn't believe I had made it through...this was incredible.

She mentioned when we first got there, not to judge spinning based on the first class but to come a couple times and then decide if you like it or not. I did really like it and have decided to go back again!

No comments: